Old 04-27-19, 10:59 PM
raymond1354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bonjour

I think that T-Mar has given you some very good information including the MRSP. I couldn't possibly improve on his post, but perhaps I can provide some context.

A friend (Shawn) gave me his Marinoni several years ago as he could no longer ride and it was just sitting in his shed. He had it made in the late 70's for touring and had put 25,000 miles on it. First time I rode it I said to myself, "Self, this is the best bike you have ever had." At that time I had my original Nishiki and some very classic very vintage Italian racing bikes. The Marinoni was surprisingly responsive, more so than the Nishiki, handling very much like a race bike, quick accelerating and responsive and ... comfortable. The Marinoni changed my taste in bikes completely - I would never buy a bike without fenders now or racks or at least the ability to put racks on. I would never buy a bike that didn't ride as well as my (Shawn's) Maronini.

I agree with T-Mar that the Marinoni you show is in the randonneur mold built for light touring. I've toured on mine and I commute on it with various loads hauling along files and the groceries that haven't fallen out onto the trail behind me. It is my go to bike and rides as well as any of my French bikes made by those famous guys. If I somehow lost my Marinoni, I would replace it. I wouldn't replace my French bikes - I would just cry and suck it up. It looks like I would replace the Marinoni with maybe something like the one you show - it appears to be a more modern version of mine.

I have a couple more points to make. The first is that the bike has got to fit - you. Shawn and I are about the same size so his bike fit me perfectly. Next is the equipment. I was looking for an everyday rider with racks and fenders, and gearing to take on hills. This bike was already set up for touring. The only equipment I switched were the shifters for barcons, the freewheel for a bailout gear and the derailleur which was a Duopar I didn't want to wreck. Pretty much instant bike. So if the bike fits and rides well and your happy with the equipment without needing to make significant changes, go for it if the price is right.

If you like the bike, but have to change out the equipment ........ it gets complicated and expensive very quickly. For example, for me this drive train is not good - the cassette can be changed to widen the range, but by how much? I have no idea what the derailleur will take. What about the front chainring? Will that crank take a smaller one? No idea. And everything's going to have to be Shimano 'cause that's what you got. Even racks and fenders are gonna set you back a sum.

But it should be a nice bike to ride.

Ray H.
Sudbury, Ontario
Likes For raymond1354: