View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 12:58 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Do unto others

Our rules are welded to the pavement on the MUP's here, and are boiled down to: 1) Be considerate of other users 2) Signal to pass (could be an extension of 1, but it's separately stated). Signs are posted at major intersections announcing NO MOTOR VEHICLES. I bought bells (Oi Knogs, highly recommended) for the signaling part.

I always use my bells, and give two or three dings as I approach to give my target a way to judge closing speed. I don't expect them to hear me, or even move, because it's incumbent on me to overtake safely, the same standard of care used in any public right of way. It's always worked out, even when a numbskull is staring at their phone standing on the right side of the path while his dog has stretched its leash across the path. I just went around after yelling to get his attention and made preparations to stop if I had to.

Why is this so hard? You shouldn't 'race' on public streets in your vehicle, so why would a MUP be different?
Likes For Unca_Sam: