View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 03:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've often read that road racing bicylce tires do NOT need any tread pattern at all. However according to those articles most people don't feel safe on a treadless tire but that's the perception of the person not an actual fact. One fear of bicyclists regarding treadless aka slick tires is that they'll hydroplane when going through water. apparently hydroplaning on a road bicycle tire is a physical impossibility due to the fact that the narrow tires of a road bicycle will simply push the water aside and make contact with the pavement. At least that's what the articles said. I wish I still had those articles.

Cheers
I don't know. I really liked the traction with my (32/35mm) Michelin Protek Cross Max tires, although I had the perception of them being slow rolling. I even hit slush with them a few times and they just ate it up. My Gator Hardshells might have dropped me like a rock on the same surface.

I thought the 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires did pretty well too.

I can't tell if it is a tread issue, or a rubber compound issue. Those heavy tires have thick rubber, but also wear fast, presumably due to soft grippy rubber.