View Single Post
Old 07-15-12, 09:11 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great post because I have actually considered and thought for some time about "investing" in a Rivendell. One does get the impression if you don't jump on the bandwagon--you could miss out big--um---like Microsoft stock circa 1970.

Here are my thoughts:

I love the Rivendell. Call me stupid but it took a while for me to realize the price quotes on their website are for frame/fork only.

I would get the cross check. Beating an old horse but Craigslist--for that matter the CC frame is relatively cheap on ebay.

Check this one: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/3081297951.html

Love the color scheme sadly--I am not much of a component guru but this ad has been up for a while. Maybe others are thinking like me why pay $725 for his Surly CC when a new one $795. I think the seller should lower his price. I would pay $500 just because I love the color.

Soooo, my vote is for a CC. Yes, Grant and his marketing are great and the bikes are stunning but so are Waterford's, Mercier's. I think purchasing a Rivendell is buying into a genre, a theme, a want for days of yesteryear. Sure there are probably owners using their Rivs for daily commuting--but the pictures I see are beautiful albeit stunning bikes with not a speck of mud. Even the worker bicycles on their website are clean, neat, pretty aesthetically lovely. I could be wrong but I don't get the impression the bikes are used for rough, mean streets.

I tend to ride bikes hard, hard peddling, cornering, ---the $2700 Rivendell ---ehhh--I just don't see myself commuting "comfortably" on it daily. I am battling speeding cars, I don't want to be distracted by vanity and oh ish did I scratch my custom paint or oh damn my custom lugs are smudged.

On Rivendell's website look at Miesha Kerl's custom painted Betty Foy bike. Im not fond of the color but really the artistry is gorgeous. Is this bike being used?

Click the link to see the custom hearts on Ms. Kerl's Betty:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7924646...7629861213795/

Right now, for me Rivendells are eye candy (a simile) like pretty strippers. Nice to admire but I am not taking one home.

Perhaps when I am older, move to a country town with long winding remote roads, with grassy fields filled with purple flowers for endless horizons, picnic basket filled with brie and wine --aah yes--the Rivendell.

Right now: commuting around potholed, dusty, dirty, angry, aggressive ass South Florida---umm no.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CrossCheckonCraigslist.jpg (98.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by BadBoy10; 07-15-12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo