View Single Post
Old 08-07-15, 09:08 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
Yeah, I can see from the picture comparison of the Giant Escape and Defy, for example, that there's not a whole heck of lot of difference in geometry between performance hybrids and endurance road bikes. If relaxed-geometry with drop bars doesn't present a huge wind advantage over performance-hybrid flat bars, and I'm basically exploring the city instead of trekking across the U.S., then flat bars may be fine. But all other things being equal, I'll go with the most bike for the least money, and that probably means a hybrid.
Just to be clear: it is not a "huge" advantage, but it is a real one under certain conditions. On flat or rolling terrain, if you are riding into a headwind and if you have your bars set at or slightly below saddle height, and if you can ride in the drops for sustained periods, you will be able to sustain a given speed for slightly less energy, or go slightly faster for the same energy expended. Slightly. On sustained descents, similarly, if you are able to ride in the drops you will descend slightly more quickly. The reason, in both cases, is mainly due to improved aero in the drop position; on descents, it also helps to be in the drops to lower centre of gravity.

Conversely, when climbing there is either no difference or a slight advantage to the slightly more 'relaxed' and open position given by wider flat bars. Reason: that position naturally 'opens up' the chest for breathing.

These things matter only if you are wanting to do longer rides over varying terrain, alone or with a group, and wanting to extract every bit of speed for a given expenditure of (your) energy. If you are intending mainly to use a bike for urban riding etc., they matter not at all.