Old 10-17-19, 09:41 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some air security personnel will deflate your tires if they inspect the bike. There are rules against compressed gasses on passenger aircraft and some security personnel think that a pumped up tire holds compressed gas, which a strict reading of the rules is correct. Would deflated tires with sealant in them be a problem?

You can't carry compressed gasses on a plane, the people that I know that have used tubeless carry CO2 cylinders. If you need CO2 cylinders, you might have to resupply after every flight. Is this a major hassle?

I have never used tubeless, maybe my comments are not pertinent?
All non-issues, I think. I have flown with my tubeless tires a number of times. I let all the air out, but the tires stay seated on the rims with the sealant inside. It's never caused a problem. CO2 cartridges may be a problem to fly with. I've never used them. Carrying a pump has always been the easiest solution for me, and it seems like it's definitely the way to go if you are unsure of finding a bike shop. I've heard that CO2 may not even be advisable for airing up tubeless tires because they can cool and interfere with the effectiveness of the sealant, but I think that's primarily an issue when seating them for the first time.