Old 01-02-20, 10:05 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you record on Strava you get both "moving time" and "elapsed time." If you have somehow turned off auto-pause, I suppose that might be different. Normally "moving time" is used to figure average speed. Doesn't mean you have to do it that way. This 59 mile ride was about 30 minutes difference, moving vs elapsed.
Well son of aboich...

The strava data does show "moving time" vs. "elapsed time". I never knew that. Then again, admittedly I have never pulled the data from Strava - only the computer.

What did catch my attention is seeing the speed average drop when I was stopped. That's how I figured out the speed average was based on the total time on the unit.

However, that having been said - according to the ride on Strava - the average speed was 11.2mph and on the computer was 9.64mph. I find that interesting. It does go to support the point I made a few posts up about the last ride I did averaging close to 10mph over a 22mi ride with stops. The point I made was in this example (the same ride with the metrics here) that my ride average wasn't as low as the 7mph annual "average speed" - including the stops. The data here should show that quite clearly.

It is interesting that Strava separates the moving vs. stopped metrics, whereas the computer does not have an option to display it yet the recording source for both is the same. Maybe I am missing something?

For the record, in the trip profile I use I do have the "auto pause" disabled. I don't recall setting that, but that is what it is - off. Because the all up averages are most important to me that is what I will leave it set to.

It is, also, interesting to note that there are slight differences in the numbers between Strava and the computer. The trip time for example - 2 hours, 16 minutes, 7 seconds on the computer vs. Strava showing 2 hours, 16 minutes, 10 seconds for the "elapsed time". The speed average, though, is based off of moving time on Strava and all up time on the computer, so those are different calculations entirely - not just the same result displayed 2 different ways.