Old 01-02-20, 10:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I guess the way I consider "ride time" is the time I jump on the bike at the start all the way to the time I get off the bike at the end, over the course of 1 day.

In that example "ride time" is accounting for every second between those two points in time - whether I am in the saddle pedaling or not.

Is there a more usual or customary definition of "ride time" that goes in to everyone's numbers?

I guess that goes back to my first post in the thread and my explanation of the "average" I came up with being, perhaps, "bogus". The reason I call it "bogus" is there are variables in the creation of the time metric in the "average" that invalidate the accuracy of it. All of the "time" (according to how I defined it here - from the time I start a ride to the time I end a ride, no pausing) was not accounted for in my 7mph or so average. I don't think the time not in there, over the course of the calendar year, would shift the average that much, but it would drop. The time commitment, or maybe I should restate that to "time consumption", to "riding" means every slow down on a ride is accounted for. If you have 15 minutes down on a loaded trip to repair a flat that is 15 minutes you don't get back. That is where I wanted to see others' numbers that hit high miles. I still question the time in those high mile reports - what variables are they, and are they not, taking in to account for? If auto-pause is being used - what percentage higher time are those riders actually seeing? (those questions don't need answers, that is just what is in my mind as I compare all the numbers in the thread)

Yep. Quantifying it and comparing it is interesting.

Since we're compiling numbers for our own purposes, there's really no right or wrong way to look at it. To give an example, my sons live about 38 miles from me, so I often ride to where they live, hang out and have lunch with them and then ride home. I definitely pause the timer while I'm hanging out.