View Single Post
Old 02-18-20, 07:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I was wondering if any of you old timers have any experience losing height over time or not fitting your favourite frame? The reason I ask is because I have a wonderful touring bike one size larger than what I would normally ride, but it's still great and comfortable. I'm early 20s, 5'10, and the bike is a 60cm with a 58 top tube from seat tube to head tube.

I haven't had any issues with sizing or fit. Normally I would ride a 57-58cm frame.

Anywho, I have this fear that at some point the frame might not fit me anymore, which would then lead me to having to trade the frame with a fellow C&V member for the desired 57cm.

Have any of you experienced not fitting on a frame as you age?
It turns out my old Colnago is a size 60, which I bought just before my 16th birthday.

And, I was about 5'10", and never got any taller.

And, I still like the bicycle almost 40 years later.

It wasn't until I joined Bike Forums that I learned the bike was the wrong size.

I haven't measured myself. I doubt I've lost more than perhaps 1/2". One thing is that while a little bit of height may be lost in the knees, as I understand it, most of the height loss is in the back. So standover height shouldn't be significantly impacted.

If you are 20, I'd encourage you to read about osteopenia and cyclists. A more important issue than whether your bike will still fit when you hit your middle ages.