View Single Post
Old 11-21-20, 05:38 AM
jacquisplace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cheap vs nicer bike

Hi, I'm wondering what the advantages are to buying a more expensive bike. I was looking at a carbon bikes in the 2-3k range that is ~20 lbs. One of my motivations is the limitation I had with trying to transport my heavy Walmart bike on a bike rack. I've since found a bike rack that is lower to the ground but am still thinking a lighter bike (20lbs) may be a nicer ride.

What is the cause for such a jump in cost in bikes from a Walmart aluminum bike to a carbon bike? I am trying to buy from a direct supply store because I don't want to pay extra at a brick and mortar store, but the costs are still higher.

Is the ride that significantly better with a nice carbon bike vs a cheaper aluminum bike? Is the primary difference the weight so one slows you down and is heavier to lift? Any ideas on if the heavier/cheaper bike to lift might actually be a better workout because it takes more effort to move it?

I will likely only ride an hour or two at a time and it's generally for a work out so I'm wondering if the investment into a nicer bike is worth it. I am also trying to motivate my 13 year old to fitness and plan on getting him a bike also.