View Single Post
Old 08-09-06, 10:14 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done "lighter" touring since purchasing the Bike Friday this year and and also since buying a much lighter weight sleeping bag (you should see the gigantic Coleman I used to lug around), and I like it too, depending on the trip. Again, my little folder demands that I bring less, unless I use the suitcase/travel trailer thing, which I rarely do around here. Touring Thailand with the Bike Friday in June, though - I went ultralight.

However, I prefer to be an "everything but the kitchen sink" camper on long tours, even if I don't use it all. I like to have tons of junk on my Mercian, and though it doesn't fit into any sort of "less is more" maxim or ultralight backpacker's idea of Nirvana, it's what I like, and it makes me feel like I'm following the Boy Scout motto: "Be prepared." That thing is a battleaxe of a bike and can endure a ridiculous amount of weight, so I let it do what, uh, "I" designed it to do when I spec'd it out for Mercian to build. I guess I'm sort of the anti-Chouniard most of the time.