Old 01-19-16, 03:30 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What's racing got to do with it? if "racing" was the primary criterion, three-quarters of all cyclists would be excluded, and then, if we tried to set a scale of how "serious" the racers were ... And does the master wanker not read results on time trials, where 2.5 seconds might be the gap from first to third?

Speaking of "serious" ... Seriously, Doge, when are you going to get serious? Bottle cages with bolts? Make him carry the bottle in his jersey, or better still in his shorts (lower center of gravity.) "Serious" racers aren't going to let themselves be slowed by the weight of alloy cage bolts.
He did say that the weight-weenie thing is a hobby for him, and like any hobby it can seem absurd to non-enthusiasts.

I've actually been thinking of re-visiting the optimal "aero" placement of bottles, since I noticed the other day that Cervelo's wind tunnel suggests between the aerobars (and not on the frame DT or ST, either of which is better than the "tri" behind the saddle). Since I don't have an aerobar, and there are a few other places to try it. Commuters and weekend warriors need to optimize things to you know.

Just to be contrary, half a million USA Triathlon members plus 477,000 one-day members, vs 750,000 bike commuters (US Census) perhaps puts the racers in the majority. If we're excluding the millions who rode "at least once" in a year, and I think it's a given that most of them don't care much about weight.