View Single Post
Old 06-28-18, 01:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Every car in your lane? In Mumbai? Does it have to be moving? C'mon smart guy, put a number on it.
Well, every car in a position to fail and hit me with a small margin for error, which I thought would just be understood. So yes, cars in my lane and cars crossing my lane mostly. Cars leaving parallel parking spaces to my right. Sometimes oncoming cars who decide to pass another car using my lane head-on. Most often, cars negotiating intersections near me. NEAR ME in all cases. I would say within five feet.

So you want a number. If I rode my bike like most people I see riding bikes in the city on my route, I would have to interact with about 100 vehicles per 5 miles. But because I cycle about 18-20 mph during peak hours, and selectively run red lights to utilize the empty road spaces caused by those red lights, normally I only have to interact with about 5 to 10 cars per 5 miles.

Why would you bring up cars in Mumbai? Just to get a reaction. That harms your credibility in an argument although it is all the rage in current American politics these days. The proper response to "You are a crook" is NOT "Well...what about Hillary?" This kind of statement just reflects poorly on you.