Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
My first two hits were least avoidable, mostly because of my lack of experience, but to my credit I have yet to be hit by a car in which I did NOT see it coming. My second two accidents were probably more avoidable, but I probably assert my right to the road with a little too much gusto.

First accident in 1993: Right Hook. I feel that guy deliberately ran into me, because I swear I heard him gun the engine as I was coming up on the intersection where he turned right into me; I did make some evasive maneuvers as he turned into me, but it still knocked me down pretty hard. The car never slowed down and kept going.

Second accident circa 2002: Left Hook. I saw the pickup headed towards me in a parking lot and figured he saw me until all of a sudden he took a left and I sped up as much as I could and all I remember seeing is the driver on his cell phone He was very apologetic and my panniers saved my bike.

Third accident circa: 2012: I T-boned a small pick up. I had the right of way and had even take the lane, but a pickup driver, not realizing how fast I was going pulled out in front of me (he was stopped at a stop sign) and I put a good size dent in his side panel. I had to replace a few spoke and re-true my wheel, luckily I was close to home. He was also very apologetic.

Fourth accident about three months ago: I got T-boned by a small car. Driver was a cute little girl that was very quick to blame her kids. She actually said that her kids were screaming for ice cream -- I thought that was funny, reminded me of the childhood song, "We all scream for ice cream...".
If I didn't do any last minute evasive maneuvers it could have been a pretty bad accident. In the end I just got a bruise on the side of my leg, near left shin, but luckily no damage to the bike.

Thanks for sharing those stories. I guess you made out pretty good, all things considered.