Old 08-19-18, 09:25 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
My goal is an Ultegra-level build with discs. This config would sell for $2,600 as a complete bike, if Cannondale sold it here (they don't).

If the frame is $400, the groupset is $800, the bike shop wants $300 for labor (just a guess) and the cockpit is $300 (also a guess), I'm at $1,800 before wheels. Now I can go straight to decent wheels instead of the cheap ones that come on the complete bike.

Maybe I've spent a little more overall, but the whole thing is fully custom and the frame color is better. I also get discs on a CAAD which I can't get under this config. The only remaining consideration is not getting the Hollowgram crank, because it's too expensive.
Hi,

If you can turn a screw you can do 80% of the work yourself. You only really need a professional to press bearings and glue tubulars. There are some specialty bike tools such as a good hex set and some torx bits for the odd stem maybe. Then you'll be under $2500 with great wheels. Also, get the big ticket items used and you'll be at a good place to spend more when the build calls for it.