View Single Post
Old 07-24-19, 11:24 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Wow, that's the best CL ad I've seen in a long time. Early 50s. 50 or 51 maybe. All there, even the braided cable housings. Terrific! If I didn't just buy the 51 Rudge, I'd be on my way now. This is the kind of situation where I'd send the saddle off to Rudy just to keep the original saddle frame.
It is funny how different my '50 Sports / Superbe is to that one. The original buyer picked a Cyclo 3 speed derailer off the shelf, so it got the hockey stick chain guard instead of the full one. They also picked the AG hub instead of AW with the separate dynohub. Other than that, they are the same. My saddle is in much nicer shape (after a few treatments with proofhide). Time will tell about the saddle once I start riding it regularly. In a few days, it'll be out in the sunshine as a rideable bicycle. The Tektro 800 front brake came in the mail yesterday. I am also reusing the original braided cable housings. The rear brake cable housing isn't in the greatest shape, but it is OK for now. They cleaned up nicely. The green really came through.

I rode my '77 AO8 home from work yesterday. At a stoplight, I noticed an older gentleman perhaps in his early seventies waiting at a light on a bicycle. I took a second look - it was a Raleigh Tourist. I wished I'd had my Raleigh in that moment. He did notice the Peugeot, and gave a nod. Maybe I'll run into him next week when I take the Raleigh to work for the first time. There's a guy closer to my age around here with a '60s looking Sports in black. I'm gonna try and run into him with mine.