Old 08-13-19, 12:57 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Good tips. I wonder if the through axel (it's not a QR) will hold the cassette tool. And yeah, this might be a good time to invest in a large adjustable wrench. Right now I'm using a set of vice grips.

@_ForceD_ good suggestion. If only I had a vise.
Park makes a version of their cassette tool with a 12mm pin on it that slides an inch or so into the hub and holds pretty securely in my experience, but IMHO not securely enough if you're going to really reef on it or start whacking things with mallets. I would worry about damaging the hub bearings, freehub, or the tool itself or if you hit it cockeyed enough to cam it out (then again I usually worry too much).

If you have a QR skewer available, and it's long enough, I think it would be more secure to use that along with a regular cassette tool (i.e. the kind with a hole in the middle, like the Park FR-5.2) and clamp it in place with the skewer, maybe with a fender washer on the NDS to hold the nut in place. It should be pretty secure if you center everything and snug it down. Never tried it though, so I don't know if a typical 135mm QR is long enough to reach the ends of a 142mm TA hub, plus the added width of the cassette tool and any washers. Maybe some 3/8" all-thread rod with nuts and washers would work better.