Old 07-31-20, 08:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
new tire sidewall abrasion diy fix/protection ideas?

Ive had this folded spare tire for a bunch of years now, never used it, and carried it folded in the bottom of my clothes pannier for a few trips and saw recently when mounting it that it has some abrasion on the sidewall. I should have been more aware of this happening as Ive had a spare tube get abrasions from being in a seatbag too long without a bag around it to protect it, but didnt occur to me that a tough tire could have the same thing.
Live and Learn eh

Its not horrible horrible, but a pain given that I put the unused tire on my bike specifically to have a new rear tire for a potential upcoming 5 day trip, plus its an expensive unused tire....
The sidewall cord is not cut or anything, and Ive left it pumped up for a day or so and it appears to be not changing.

So, my thoughts are to put a Parks sticky boot on the inside of tire as a precaution , but would like some actual experienced recommendations on "shoring up" the sidewall rubber to give the inner cords at least some limited physical protection

my first ideas are Shoe-Goo, rubber cement?? Shoe Goo is probably tougher and might have some flexibility also
I figured I'd put this out to get some of your experienced ideas / actual things anyone has done / etc etc

thanks