ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbafat
5'11" 275lb.

Prior to this July, the last time I successfully rode a bike was probably 25-30 years ago. I lived on my Huffy as a kid but only tried once as an adult. I popped up on a bike at a big-box store and almost immediately and bent the crap out of a seat post and decided I was just too fat for a bike - I was 360lbs at the time.

Then a few weeks ago my wife and I were camping in VA and decided to check out High Bridge State Park. We found a bike rental place and I was assured that at 275lbs I would have no problem on their bikes (big heavy cruisers). We had a great time and decided that we'd like to look into biking more.

Fast forward a week and a bartender says "Ya'll need to check out Trek bikes - I love mine". He's not 275 but he's at least 240 so it sounds like they are well made. So we headed over to the local Trek store and I got the last Verve 2 in my size and my wife got the Verve 2+ ebike. I picked it up on Sunday and love it.

Well - there is one issue - I need a stronger seat post clamp. Any suggestions (it's a 28.6)?

Anyway - I kept landing in this forum while googling questions so I figured it's probably the place to be.

Cheers!
Welcome Bubba, and you got that right. This is the place for Clydes, Athenas and just about anything else cycling.
Good to hear you like the Verve 2. I've got a few thousand miles on a Trek Domane and am very satisfied.
Going by the on line specs for your bike it's an "Alloy, adjustable suspension, 27.2mm", but I wouldn't second guess you if you're looking right at it.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-disc/p/28003/

Have you heard of Surly bikes? I've heard they're the Cadillac of sturdy bikes. They have a clamp called The Constrictor just for us full-figured gals.
Check this page dedicated to slipping seat posts:
https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spe...seatposts_slip