Old 01-09-21, 10:23 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Since making the switch, I’ve noticed they seem much harder to disengage from than SPDs. Even after loosening the pedal tension as much as possible, they still don’t seem nearly as responsive. It’s interesting to me that they’ve become so popular given this issue, but I realize it could just be the adjustment and that some people may find it more challenging than others.
For a number of valid reasons (sprinters make insane power, roadies don't have to routinely foot dab awkwardly around failed technical sections, road power tends to be more full circle, etc, etc) road cleats are harder to disengage. You basically just get used to it eventually.

One thing that helped me transition was to intentionally "lead with the heel" whenever I was thinking about it (ala coming up to a stop). This gets the heel out in front of the foot, causing the twist you need without having to think about twisting as a separate motion, and it also engages the downward motion of the calf instead of just the anlkle making the twist more... I dunno... powerful? Or something. Just try it and see if it helps. "Lead with the heel, lead with the heel, lead with the heel"

Eventually that just became a habit and I seldom have an issue now.