Old 04-01-20, 12:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Sort of funny because the 1x system isn't really new technology. If anything, it's a lot simpler with less parts to break than a traditional FD system that a tourer would use.

A large cassette is the same tech as a small cassette - it's more of a new implementation of a proven technology. I suppose you could say that a clutch in the rear derailleur and the narrow-wide chainring are "new", but they've been used for many years in the MTB world so in my mind they are both proven and readily available. In other words the 1x system would be less likely to break on tour and also I wouldn't need to worry about finding FD parts in a remote area.
Sorta on topic, maybe, but IMNHO many things like flat bars and tubeless tires that make total functional, practical sense in the MTB realm do not make the same functional practical sense in road bikes, but get pushed as new and cool and usefull. I am not sure where wide range 1x systems fit. yes they cover a similar range, but with fewer steps to fine tune.

and of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....something can be really functional and still fugly

Likes For squirtdad: