View Single Post
Old 08-01-14, 10:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I'm sitting in my office after a commute in which fortunately was uneventful. It had the nervous potential to be eventful several times…

The rest of the ride was less hazardous but I saw at least half a dozen other blatant driver errors, running red lights, poor timing judgment, discourtesy, and of course the obnoxious extended horn blasting at the Market Basket.

Of all that the only personal threat to my safety was by the cyclist. However I am now safely at work.
I have a few Cardinal Rules for (urban) cycling:

Make yourself as visible as possible, and assume no one sees you.

Like a gum, treat every parked car like it is loaded with an occupant ready to exit, on either side.

No matter how lightly traveled or well-paved the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right (My rationale for rearview mirrors).

If you cannot directly see the Road surface (due to a reflecting puddle, a pile of leaves, or whatever), a pothole may lurk.

FWIW.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… he revealed that he is a certified Cycling Instructor by the League of American Cyclists and taught safe, including urban, cycling to adults and children. As a decades-long, year-round urban cyclist, I proudly told him I learned by experience, and he replied, “It shows. You made some mistakes out there.”