Old 01-09-20, 03:00 PM
samuraiben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mstateglfr Thanks so much for the detailed response. And thanks for understanding why tubeless isn't worth it for me, at least for now. I'll make sure to keep to the tire width recommendation. I don't so much want a tire wider than 38 than I just don't want one that is SUPPOSED to be 38, but measures 36 or something. I figured maybe 39s were okay, but I'll take the advice. Oh, and I think I'm interested in the Microskin, TL Easy tires. Is this a good choice?

shoota My bike came with Axis Sport Disc wheels, which I think have an interior rim width of 21mm. That's good to hear they probably don't run as small as people say. Do you think that will hold true for 21mm rim interiors? As for the Pathfinders. I was seriously considering them (they do seem like exactly what I'm looking for), but I read multiple review where people said that the center strip is raised so much that it feels like you're about to fall off when you transition between that strip and the grip on the edges. So any leaning is out. As much as I would love what they are trying to do, I want confidence from my wider tires. Any experience with them though? Should I reconsider? I'm worried because my local bike shop doesn't have any for me to get a feel for them.

jimincalif I'm not opposed to tubeless, I just don't feel ready for them now. I will definitely look into them more as I keep riding. I don't know what percentage my hills are, just that there are a lot and they are a variety of steepness levels, some quite steep. Do you think your troubles with them had more to do with your gearing? I tend to stay in the saddle when climbing, but I definitely stand sometimes. Is this a drawback of the Schwalbes?

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! Any other advice to help me decide?