Old 06-15-20, 07:55 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Like I said in the title, my '86 Miyata 710s wheels are pretty much gone (brake track wear is already worn past the anodizing, showing signs of rim weakness by starting to pulsate on hard braking. NOW what? Originally they were gray hard anodized Ukai 20A. Should I stick with gray hard anodized? And what hub? Right now it is still 6-speed freewheel. Should I keep it screw-on freewheel hub? I don't know what my options are... like how hard is it to go cassette (and which size/speed(?) given my frame 126mm spacing) Derailleurs are still the original friction-shifting SunTour Cyclone, shifted by SunTour barcons...

Pic for what I have...

HELP!!!!!

If I liked the bike as a rider, I'd start looking for some good period-correct rims or plausible in-period replacements. In the first category I'd look for a pair of Mavic MA-40 or similar. For the second category I'd look for something that a previous owner might have used as a qualtiy replacement perhaps in the 15 years after the bike was new. In this category I'd look for a pair of Mavic Open Pros. With either one it's reasonable to optimize your spokes to maybe SS double-butted 2.0/1.6/2.0, and find a builder who can do all the tensioning properly. I'm not bad as a builder, but I'm nowhere near as good as a pro.

So that would be my approach.