Old 06-20-19, 09:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Let's look at 84. When did Shimano come out with Uniglide? I'm guessing it was in 83 or 84. Now's the time to tell you about another bike I bought last year. It's a Condor. The bike is not important, but the story of how the components evolved on it through the years is. The PO kept all of the components that went on it. They were included in the purchase and he talked about the evolution. It started with Campy NR through the 70s. Then he started upgrading with Suntour. He bought a Superbe BB but it didn't fit so the NR crank stayed. Eventually the bike was running Suntour barcons/derailleurs/freewheel and Shimano first gen DA brakes. In the mid 80s the PO sent the bike back to Condor for frame upgrades. The rear was spread, cable guides/shifter bosses were added and it was repainted. When he got it back he upgraded all of the components to a new group. His statement was that he could not afford a new Campy or DA group. They were just too expensive. So he went with Shimano 600EX. I think that is what a lot of people thought at the time.