View Single Post
Old 08-10-20, 08:25 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I ride my Campag drivetrain all the time in the big/big as well, but in my case it is a 53/27. With a Chorus cassette it is as quiet as any other combination. With the Miche it does make a little noise, more of an annoyance than a problem IMHO.

Several years ago I was at a seminar and the chief engineer for one of the "S" component manufacturers was taking questions. A question on the use of the big/big or small/small combination came up. You could tell from the body language he was beyond tired of answering the question, but he gave a detailed and insightful answer. The short version is there is no reason to avoid using them.

The slightly longer version is if the drivetrain is properly setup they saw less than a 1% difference in wear on any of the drivetrain components using the big/big or small/small combination vs any other gear combination, and didn't see any significant difference in power lost in the system. He pointed out that the big/big combination is typically one of the most power efficient gear combinations in the drivetrain due to reducing the rotation at each chain rivet. The 2 biggest factors in the drivetrain set up were that chainstay length was longer than their minimum spec, and the drivetrain centerline is properly aligned. Both of these are mostly controlled by the frame (centerline can be tweaked with shims,) so if you have a frame from a reputable builder or manufacturer you probably have a setup that will allow all gear combinations to be used. As he put it, they put the gears on the drivetrain expecting all of them to be used, so use them.
Likes For RGMN: