View Single Post
Old 08-16-20, 06:18 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Big frame for medium one

Hi folks,

I've been contemplating building up a vintage sports tourer with a decent quality frame from Japan or Taiwan. I've collected a bunch of vintage Suntour, Diacompe & SR components for this project.

Since the "Exchange-a-Frame" thread appears to have stalled, I'm reposting the following:Because of my penchant for salvaging vintage bicycles, the bike co-op that I volunteer at has offered me a 77 or 78 Peugeot PRN10E frame set. I've done a solvent wipe down. It's clean and straight, but a little rough with lots paint chips/scrapes and some surface rust. The frame no dents or no visible dings. It’s been stripped of major components; Stronglight 49 crankset and Mafac Racer brakes. The headset is French and I assume that the BB is also. Currently, only the fixed cup is installed, but it rest is probably somewhere in the shop bins and I’ll try to find it. I saw the Atax stem and Phillippe bars on a shelf. They are corroded, but should polish up. It has one of the all metal Simplex RDs (Prestige?) on it and those nifty shifters with the plastic boots. I have a Sachs-Huret FD if you would like to keep the shifting French. Also, have some DiaCompe center pulls that I would throw in if needed

I’d take this on and build it up with some bin parts, but at 62cm it is way to big for me. As the header says, I’d like to trade it for something of similar value, but smaller. I would prefer a chrome-moly frame with “forged” dropouts that was designed for 700C wheels. Seat tube CTC 54-55 and top tube 54-56. The only critical thing is the sizing.

If you are a tall person interested in building a frame like this as a commuter or beater, PM me your e-mail and I’ll send pix and answer any questions.

I'd like to work with a forum member on this rather than deal with the on-line sites.

Thanks & regards,

Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 08-16-20 at 06:21 PM. Reason: correct mistakes