Old 02-26-21, 01:56 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
How To Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle by Oz Cycling - 3 Part Video Series on Youtube

Hi Folks,

I went to YouTube to figure out how to measure my sit bone again and stumbled on probably the most thorough and technical videos that I've seen on 'How to find your Ideal Saddle' by Oz Cycle. There are three parts to the entire video series on how to find your ideal saddle and it break it all down in technical details that is relevant to saddle selection.

I've summarized each video briefly for those interested. You might already know some of this information like I did from years of riding and skip to watching what may be relevant to you. However, I found all three videos very informative but mostly video #2 was what I needed to further my understanding. Hope it helps those of you still seeking the Holy Grail of Saddle for your particular style of riding.

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle Part 1 (30 minutes) - It goes into discussion of how physiology, anatomy, style of riding, ride position, body imperfections and measurements of saddle height, seat to handlebar length, and tilt position all impact seat saddle selection. I found this video relatively basic information for most serious riders but if you are new to cycling, this information is critical.

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle - Part 2 (26 minutes) - In this series, he goes into more depth about sit bone width and how to measure it; the style of riding (shown below) and adjustment that should be added to sit bone width to determine the seat size; and about the different features in each saddle as shown below and how it impacts your riding.

Adjustments to make to Sit Bone Width based on the Style of Riding: For example, if your measured sit bone is 110 mm and your style of riding is racing (aggressive position), then you would need add 10mm to right of the sit bone width and 10mm to left of the sit bone width so your ideal seat size is about 130 mm.

a) Aero (Time Trial) -- + 0mm adjustment for each side
b) Racing -- + 10 mm adjustment for each side (meaning add a total of 20 mm to 'measured' sit bone width for ideal seat size as shown in example above).
c) Endurance / Sport -- + 20 mm adjustment for each side
d) Recreational (Upright) -- + 30 mm adjustment for each side
e) Casual (Very Upright) -- + 40mm adjustment for each side

Features of the Saddle:
1) Width of Sit Bone
2) Cut Out of Saddle or Perineum Relief Channel
3) Flat or Rounded Saddle
4) Back to Front Shape ( Flat or S Wave)
5) Nose Style
6) Shell Type (Carbon or Plastic)
7) Rail Type (Carbon, Titanium, CrMo, Steel)
8) Padding
9) Cover Type (Synthetic or Leather)
10) Transition Curves

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle - Part 3 (28 minutes) - This series focus mainly on Test Rides and what to feel for and how to make minute adjustments to the bike during your test ride.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-26-21 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For dmeans2anend: