Old 08-28-18, 09:23 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks everyone, that's very good info and much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Hub Spanner
Quick question. Were the bars on the LHT high enough? Was the steerer tube already cut or can the bars be moved higher?

You mentioned being “old” ... I’m kinda old, too. There is no need to suffer with low handle bars just because that is the fashion, or because a 20-something mechanic bulit up,the bike that way. Hand comfort and better access to the LHT bar end shifters might both be addressed with higher bars.

Related: You sound pretty tall...was the LHT big enough for you?

The LHT was a 60cm/XL, and it fit pretty well. We raised the seat post about an inch so I was able to straighten my leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke and it felt pretty good. Surly also has an XXL (62cm?), and according to their sizing charts, I'm kind of on the cusp between an XL and XXL. I'd probably go with the XL.

The bars were very high, with seven spacers and a high-angled stem, so the ride was very upright, and that part was very appealing.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
The things you mention not liking about the Long Haul Trucker aren't really the things I would expect to separate a touring bike from your Canondale. As you say, you can change the controls any way you like. The more relevant question in my mind is how you like to ride. I used to have an LHT and some days I really liked it but most days I didn't. There was nothing wrong with the bike necessarily. Lots of people love them. It just didn't suit the way I like to ride.

I used my LHT sparingly for commuting because I had other options. The times I enjoyed it were on days when I wanted a slow, relaxed ride. If I was just puttering along in the neighborhoods enjoying the weather and taking in the scenery, it was a nice bike. If I wanted any kind of snappy ride (and let me make clear that I am by no means a fast rider), it frustrated me. It's not that I couldn't make it go fast. I just always felt like it didn't want to.

So that's the question I'd ask, particularly with regard to a Long Haul Trucker. If you just want to carry some bags but you like the bike to be responsive, there are still some great bikes available. I'm a big fan of early-to-mid 80's sport touring bikes for this reason. But if you like a relaxed and comfortable ride on a steady bike that will take just about any load you want to strap on to it, then the LHT is worth the trouble of fine tuning.
I'm keeping the Cannondale for faster group rides, general exercise, that sort of thing. It has a more upright seating position than it used to, owing to a different stem, but nothing like the LHT. The morning commute needs to be pretty casual, as we don't have showers at work and I'm not crazy about showing up in a lather, so I'm looking forward to the slower pace on these rides. It'll also be a grocery-getter and for rides around the city - out to dinner, movies, whatnot, so that'll be slower-paced as well.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
You may want an endurance bike. They're like road bikes but more comfortable with a slightly longer wheelbase and slightly more relaxed geometry. That's what I have, although I call it a semi touring bike. I have a 2015 Charge Plug Performance Bike edition. The All-City Space Horse is also one. The all-City Cosmic Stallion may also work for you.
I'll take a look at the All-City bikes. The LBS that had the LHT also carries those. I guess that's about as close as anyone comes to a new version of the old sport touring bikes mentioned above, right?

Anyway, thanks again, folks!