Old 03-18-19, 07:24 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
How much fitness do you lose taking a few months off?

Hello everyone,

Currently training for my first century ride on May 4th. I know I could probably finish it just fine, I do 50-60 mile rides on the weekend no problem. But honestly, I am looking to set a good "time" and enjoy the experience, so trying to get as fit as possible.

I was just curious: I was in good shape at the end of October last year, where I did 7 weeks of pretty hard training (for me) at about 100-km a week). November, December and first half of January had been off months where I did no training. No significant riding, except for short commutes every day (12 mins each way), and a couple of isolated rides.

So now my question is: How much of the Fitness I had gained in September- October (and the months leading up to it to a lesser degree) would I have lost during 2.5 months off?

Also: I started training again late January for 4 solid weeks, but due to illness had to stop training for 2 weeks the first two weeks of march. How would two weeks off affect my training?

I am hoping to put a good solid 8-week uninterrupted training block in between now and the event. This is how my schedule will be:

Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: Speed work: intervals 1hr+
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Steady ride, 80% of max HR, 1hr+
Friday: Rest day
Satursday: Rest day or easy ride
Sunday: Long ride, 50 miles+, 4hr+

Thank you!