Old 03-20-19, 08:55 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
My FTP dropped from a peak in oct of 278 to 250 at the beginning of december with a significant taper. Didn't ride at all over the holidays ~ 1 month and my FTP dropped to 215 on my first day back/test. Was back to 235 by mid feb, and 250 by beginning of march with ~4-5 hours/week on zwift with almost all intervals/races.
Thanks, this is useful info! Good to hear you were able to regain from 215 to 250 in about 2 months. Kind of discouraging to hear how fast it goes down though!

Originally Posted by srode1
Age is a big factor in how much you lose, I took about 45 days off for medical reasons and it's taking me 6 months of hard structured to get close to where I was before - age 62
Good point, thanks for the feedback! I am 32 so perhaps a bit quicker to regain?

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Some. But it comes back quickly.
Good to hear, thanks!

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

Your program looks fine. If you're much over 50, I'd recommend dropping that 80% on Thursday down to 75%. Or better yet, do a lactate threshold test and base your zones off that, so more like 85% LTHR. On Friday or Saturday, depending on your response, you might try 30-45 minutes of relatively easy riding with one very hard effort of about 1.5 minutes. You might want to try a walk or brief run on Wednesday.

More importantly, you want at least 100 miles a week, preferably more, and at least 50 feet of elevation gain per mile if that's available. Climbing is the quick way to get fit.
Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I am 32. I don't have a power meter or HRM at the moment, so all of these numbers are pretty much based on "feel" and breathing rate at the moment. It LTHR the same as FTP? I know my FTP was 177 when I started my training in January. I kind of know what 177 "feels" like from being on Zwift, so I can kind of gauge my efforts accordingly.

-I try to go at a "steady, hard, but sustainable for an hour" pace on the steady rides. I have heard it is more beneficial to train closer to your FTP than at 80% of your FTP for example? Faster fitness gains?
-I try to go "all out" for 45 second intervals with about 1 minute of recovery for about 5-6 reps during interval days (after warmup etc.). This should raise my VO2max / lactate treshold?
-On the endurance rides I just focus on getting the distance in, at a steady pace. Trying to go easy first half, and upping the pace to steady during the last half if I feel good. This is kind of to simulate the kind of riding I would be doing during the century.

100 miles a week seems doable. I am currently at about 85 miles per week, will be able to up this to 100 in a couple of weeks.

I currently do about 2500 ft of elevation per 50 miles, so that is about 50 per mile as you suggest. Really have no choice in the matter, as it is quite hilly around here, no matter where I go. I guess that is a good thing. The century I am training for will be similar terrain, so I have to get used to taking it easy up the climbs not to burn out too fast.

Thank you!