Old 01-21-20, 01:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pretty decent weather again this long weekend. Decided to ride as much as I could before it's rainy and cold again. (Stock Show season here in Fort Worth, which is a magnet for our worst winter weather. Couldn't have anything to do with the seasonal timing. Nope. I'm blaming the stock show. Like blaming Wichita Falls for attracting tornadoes.)

Friday: 32 miles, usual training route, trying to decide on re-gearing my '89 Ironman. After my injury and illness in 2018 I swapped the original 52/42 chainring and 12-24 freewheel for easier gearing. Settled on 50/38 and 13-28. But now I'm back in decent shape and that gearing feels too easy.

Saturday: 90 minutes on the trainer, trying to settle on gearing and bike fit stuff. I got too enthusiastic after switching to 52/42 Biopace chainrings and have a bit of a knee twinge today. I rarely get knee problems so now I'm fussing and fretting over bike fit minutiae. Never had any problems with Biopace on my Trek 5900 with 170 cranks, but something feels off with the same chainrings on the Ironman with 172.5 cranks.

Sunday: 36 miles, usual training route. Nice sunny and cool afternoon.

Switching from casual fit winter kit to more aero stuff has helped this winter on windy days. Feels like I'm being knocked around less in crosswinds, and not slogging quite so hard into headwinds. Found a jersey and jacket with wind-resistant front material but otherwise breathable and good even in chilly weather.
Likes For canklecat: