View Single Post
Old 05-03-20, 11:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
I still have some hair but it is now at a #1 clipper guard COVID-19 special length (⅛") so it is next to nothing. But I've worn Headsweats under my helmet for years to keep the sweat out of my eyes but they also work great to stop sunburn and I wear a normal Giro helmet with lots of vents. It has been sunny here for weeks on end but the only sunburn I got on the top of my head was from weeding the yard without a hat. There are several different brands out there to choose from.
I am mostly bald and I shave my head. A year ago I started using a Headsweats skull cap under my helmet. It protects the head, and is reasonably cool. Last year I went through 5 weeks of topical chemotherapy on most of my scalp. I also had some cancerous spots on my neck,ear, and cheek removed surgically. It took care of the problem, and I'm not letting that happen again. I rode for over 50 years without taking any precuations against sun exposure on my head. I don't sunburn easily and was lax about using sunscreen on the rest of my body. Most of the damage was caused during the last 10 years. During that period I bicycle toured a total of 2 years, plus all my recreational and training riding. It was a lot of exposure, and sunscreen did not work on the top of my head, because it was in my eyes as soon as I started sweating.

Find something that works for you, and use it to protect your head, and use sunscreen on the any other exposed skin!!

The Headsweats are pretty comfortable under my helmet.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-04-20 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For Doug64: