Old 08-30-20, 06:22 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am noticing that as I'm getting older I am thinking more and more about safety. For example...

10 years ago? I'd never have considered putting lights on my bike for daytime riding. It's the daytime right? Drivers can see me. Now? I don't leave the home without lights.
Dark coloured jersey? Sure. Why not? Now? The brighter the better so drivers can see me.

Is this just normal progression of getting older? Realizing that I will not indeed live forever? Have others gone through a similar progression?
I have had three accidents with my Toyota Corolla XRS. In all cases, I was stopped and people just hit me from behind. Once hard enough to total the car. It is my feeling that people just do not pay attention like they used to.
Not sure if it is cell phones or what.

I am getting a
  • brighter rear tail
  • Wear brighter shirts
  • bike in areas with no cars when possible like Vietnam Veterans memorial trail at the enterprise park at Calverton
  • My local bike shop said to get bright socks. He said they get attention due to the spinning.
  • I also try to find areas with wide shoulders. The really narrow shoulder roads has lead to some close calls.
  • I also try to ride with others if I can. At least if I get hit and knocked into a ditch someone will be there.
I never used a front light as I can see what's coming at me. And not sure how it would help safety even if it made me more visible to oncoming cars.

I was watch Netflix and it was about a guy riding around Europe. I noticed the street had two car lanes, and dedicated bike late with circular curbstones to keep cars out. I doubt that will happen here, but it probably helps with safety.