View Single Post
Old 08-05-18, 10:43 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 884 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Nice report. It does sound like a good day.

We expected company from late morning on so I took the Masi out early, maybe 8AM over to the MM and then westward. Of course ankuweather was predicting a storm in 90 minutes so I told myself I would turn around at either Lexington or 8:30 which came first. I turned around at the Bike Stop at 8:35. Made it maybe a mile from home when the rear tire went PFfft pfft pfft fft fft. Okay, do I take the time to swap on another sewup or trust the Stan's Tire Seal I had put in, pump it up and ride? I chose the latter. Got maybe a quarter of a mile, decided to pump it up again. Stopped, pumped, listened. This time it wasn't making so much hissing noise. As I was pumping a guy in a car stopped, asked if I was okay. Then he complimented the bike and said he wanted to pull over and talk. He introduced himself with a slight Italian accent, a definitely Italian name, said he used to work at Farina's Bike Shop in Watertown, the same place that also sells lawnmowers. He rides a Raleigh Pro so we talked about old bike as I pumped. It was a neat chance meeting. Eventually I packed up as the sky was darkening steadily. I made it home about 9:30, with 15 minutes to spare before the rain started.
I could be wrong, but I believe in a previous epoch ('70s), Farina's also repaired Fiats. I had my Fiat 128 in there once or twice; they did good work.

rod