View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 05:09 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Wow, some serious riding going on here. N'sG, we need a pic or two! (You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen. Yeah, I know, there is a video.)

I did my commute again yesterday, first day back after a vacation. Took the Masi. Glad the rain held out until night. The MM was curiously light traffic-wise. Riding the 2 mile downhill from Bow St to Mill St in Arlington I saw as almost no one. As a result I just powered along at a brisk steady cadence. Then I noticed someone slowly catching up with me. Another hotshot, I figured. They blow by me and everyone else by 10mph or more with no verbal warning. As he got closer I realized he wasn't pedaling. Ah, an electric bike. When we finally stopped at Mass Ave we spoke. He was an older gent, but from my perspective everybody seems younger. He said "You are a strong rider," I told him anyone can be fast going downhill. Still, he insisted that no one ever passes him. I hadn't actually passed him but I did keep him from passing me. I just said "Well, I ride a lot." He said his bike was so heavy that without the "assist" he couldn't do the 20-mile round trip to work. I told him if it gets him out then great. The light changed and we moved on.

A bit later I noticed another hunkered-down rider on my tail but when I waved for him to pass he said no. Okay. Then we came up on some pedestrians walking dogs, one on each side of the trail. I slowed, trying to decided what to do. As we were about 20ft from them the two dogs lunged at each other into the middle of the path. Yow! I hit the brakes hard. The guy following me did the same, probably saw what was developing, for which I am grateful.

Last edited by jimmuller; 06-11-19 at 05:13 AM.