View Single Post
Old 01-03-15, 11:23 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
For sure! I didn't imply any ratios. Just that there's running. Should be some. More than just slogging up a steep climb. That's not running. I like 100-150 yds total. I like to see the combo of legging it and re/dismounting making a difference. One set of barriers per lap ain't enough for me.
If that's 100-150 yards a lap I'd have to say it's quite a bit beyond the threshold of what I'd be willing to put up with. A few dismounts per lap is fine, a hill or two sure, but any more than that, or extended sections of barriers that you have to stay dismounted for and it wrecks the flow and the fun for me. I'd be staying away.

Even the hot dudes seem to modulate their hopping. Even the best often screw up ... and smash hard. Sure, there are worse wrecks, and smashing flat into boards doesn't really send you to the hospital. It's a race-changer, tho, to make that mistake.
Then I think your suggestion of raising the barriers by an inch would just make things worse. You'd still have some guys who could clear the obstacle, but way more who'd lose time by dismounting and the obstacle becomes more of a race changer

I don't mind risks. I'm just kind of against this one.
TBH I think you're just overly scared of this.

Maybe it's like if courses started including 4-foot huck-drops that most everyone scrambled down over but some started slam-dropping with frequent nasty side effects but if you could clean it you'd gain time. ...Then put a little board sticking up just past the drop to catch chins on. Just seems a little off.
It's not like that at all. One hop-able barrier isn't a potentially crippling test that only a chosen few can pass.

I like the idea of difficult techniques, stuff to aspire to, that only a few can do. I'm inclined to work at them and reap the gains. But that darn board-smashing... And to have to replace the cool stuff. Well, I'm just not convinced.
You seem willing to work at it to reap the gains as long as it's not a set of boards that many can reliably hop over 99% of the time.

If constant dismounts and extended runs are your idea of "cool stuff" that gets replaced I don't really know what to say. I'm not saying that's what you mean but I get that impression.