Old 11-27-17, 10:03 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
My prior bike had a set of custom wheels I had built on Campy Tipo hubs with 14/15/14 butted spokes and 27" Weinmann concave rims (also a triple chamber design) that weighed about what a Dyad runs. They were popular for tandems and touring bikes in their day, but could handle 25-32mm tires. I had those wheels for 35 years and they never broke a spoke or needed truing. This was with long gaps of non-use (years) and rider weights up to 270.
@Bill in VA, the DT Swiss Alpine III spokes have that 2.34mm or so butted end by the j-bend. Sapim Force spokes do it too, though it's only half as much thicker at something like 2.18mm rather than the usual 2.0mm. Still, that .18mm extra at the j-bend will add only a microscopic amount of weight (and at the hub where it matters little anyway) for probably a significant improvement in resistance to breakage at that location.

I'm actually building myself a set of "aero-clyde" wheels right now that will be seen as a complete abomination by just about everyone. The weight weenie and "aeromax" guys will puke. The clydes will just shake their heads at the profligate waste of money for benefits they will see as illusory for a large rider. I am really liking the concept, though, and if I do a good job on the build I think I'll be very pleased with them.

I'm using Chinese carbon rims (from light-bicycle.com) that are 28mm wide and 46mm deep while weighing the same as the Stans Grail rims I've currently got. These will support the 32mm Compass tires really nicely, or the 35mm Compass tubeless I want to try next. The wider rim should allow the wider tires to have a better shape. The transition from tire to rim will be more aero than going all the way down to a 23 or 24mm rim, and the extra 20mm or so of depth should also improve the aerodynamics of the wheel.

I ordered Sapim CX-Sprint spokes for the front wheel, and Sapim Force spokes for the rear. The CX-Sprint spokes are just a thicker, stronger version of the aerodynamic CX-Rays, that also cost half as much. The Force spokes are the 2.0/1.8/2.18 triple-butted ones that should be stronger at the j-bend, so the rear wheel will have very robust spokes with less chance of breakage. I didn't go with the CX-Sprints for the rear wheel because whatever aero benefit they would have over round spokes is far less than they will have in the front, and the Force spokes will add some durability against breakage due to the thicker j-bend area.

The hubs I ordered are 36h White Industries CLD. I'm constantly tempted to regret not ordering the rims in 32h for the front, but I just remind myself that I'm a heavy rider (currently around 287lbs and dropping), and even when I reach my dream weight in another year or two I'll still be a heavy rider (dream weight for me right now is 220-230, realistically I'll probably not go lower than the 240s). I am sure I would have been fine with 32h for the front (the wheels I built for my previous bike have 32 spokes both front and rear and have been fine for thousands of miles), but going from 32h to 36h will add just a small amount of weight, while fulfilling my design goal of building a very tough, durable clyde wheelset.

Everyone will think this is the stupidest build they've ever seen. I don't really care. It's an idea I latched onto and then just couldn't let go until I'd tried it: can a very tough and durable wheelset be built that is superclyde-proof that also has as much aerodynamic and nice wide tire support as can be salvaged from a really tough build?

What I don't like are the clyde wheels I often see discussed where to get tough they use really heavy or non-aero stuff and just say "hey it's a tough clyde build, aero is completely irrelevant." Thing is, it's relevant to me. I may be big, but I still want to go fast, and when I ride with much thinner guys on their aero bikes I want as much of those same benefits as can still be salvaged while starting out with a very tough and durable combination. I think my component choices put an appropriate priority on toughness and durability, but without giving in to the temptation to think that if it can withstand a superclyde it has to be super ugly, super heavy, and completely non-aero.

I guess I'll find out.

Last edited by SethAZ; 12-08-17 at 02:29 PM.