Old 12-09-17, 10:14 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I personally am not an aero fan, but that is because I tend to like a more traditional or retro look of steel tubes and silver components, Plus, I myself am not really at all aero .
I'm not very aero either (around 6'2" @ 284 lbs or so), and I didn't get an aero-framed bike, but I do ride fast enough to appreciate that air resistance soaks up the vast majority of my power output just like it does with thinner riders, so finding a little aero where I can still appeals to me.

That said, a project is a project and worthy of interest and consideration, especially when it makes folks think
and learn. Plus if successful, if could hopefully catch on. While I am a short timer on these boards, this forum seems to be very accepting of folks trying out new ideas, and sharing, given some of the challenges even finding a bike that fits and wheels that last. I wish you a successful build.
Thanks! What got me thinking about this AeroClyde build was that pretty much every aero wheelset I've ever seen was designed for skinny lightweight riders. People buying expensive aero carbon wheelsets are always looking for low spoke count, the lightest weight components, etc. On the other hand, "clydesdale" wheelsets typically are build more like tanks, with a focus on really heavy rims, high spoke counts with beefy spokes, etc. with seemingly no regard at all for things like aerodynamics.

So I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to combine a wide, moderately deep yet lightweight and strong rim that would work very well with wide tires (like the 32mm Compass tires I'm using) and be about as aero as possible for the size, with a high spoke count using tough spokes that are strong where it actually counts, aero if possible, and yet not be thicker and heavier than needed. Thus CX-Sprint spokes up front, and Sapim Force spokes in the rear. The CX-Sprint is the slightly thicker and tougher step-sister to the popular CX-Ray, for aero combined with strength, and the Sapim Force enjoys the same 1.8mm middle section of typical double-butted spokes, but is triple butted, with the hub end being 2.18mm for better toughness and durability.

My hope is that this will represent a very nice wheelset that salvages as much nice shape, tire support, and aero design as is reasonably obtainable in a build that is tough enough for hard riding by a superclyde like me.

The weight weenies will point out that these are much heavier than high-dollar aero wheels for light cyclists.
The aero freaks will point out that the high spoke count negates some of whatever aero benefit one hopes to gain.
The clydes will point out that they bought a clyde build from brand X for hundreds of dollars less than I paid for my components and they've got thousands of miles on them with no problem, and that since we clydes are all fat we just need toughness and durability and trying to get some aero benefit is a waste of time or money. Or else they'll point out that I could have used the heavy and tough high-spoke hubs and rims that the touring cyclists or tandems use and had an even stronger build. There's truly something to hate about this build for everyone!