Thread: Chains
View Single Post
Old 12-19-14, 12:45 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
I'm not quite sure i'm following you here, and wonder if you can explain what you mean about the braking force working against tension-based master links? a braking force (i.e back-pedaling/ resisting the forward pedal momentum), still keeps the chain under tension, but transfers the max tension from the top of the chain to the bottom?

In my experience though, pushing pins in and out tends to have more of an impact on the strength of the chain than a master link, but the experience of others might differ
I think the deal is when you put back pressure, the change in tension can be dramatic and very snappy because it is driven by momentum. Like hitting the brakes hard on a car and everything flies forward. The inverse, accelerating so hard the chain "bounces" on the non-tension side, is more rare simply because we would have to produce that acceleration with our puny leg muscles.

FWIW, as long as you check the connection every once in a while, the screw/locknut concept is excellent. If it binds, you can always back the screw out a quarter turn and use the lock nut to make sure it doesn't unscrew. I went so far as filing a little locknut wrench for this purpose. If the lock nut is tight, it shouldn't unscrew.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter