Old 12-19-14, 08:12 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I would go as far as to say it is damn near impossible for a track chain to fail if it is cut and assembled with a proper master link and properly maintained and retired at the appropriate time..

I would assume all failures were operator error associated with reinserting pins or incorrect use of master links (less likely)
Let me clarify a bit, I've never had a track chain failure, but I've also never used a master link on a track chain either. My history of chains that have failed were all road chains, which include Simano Dura Ace with their breakaway assembly pin, KMC chains that weren't supplied with master pins, and Wipperman & SRAM chain with their master pins. I never need to resize a chain, since I make sure I get the length right the first time (I've been building all of my own bikes for the past 35 years). Anyway, I don't think most people understand the forces a heavy rider can put on equipment. For example, I had an SRAM master link plate shear from the pin hole outward without any observable twisting. The plate was just hanging there with a quarter of the plate around the hole just gone. Another master link failed by a plate snapping between the pins, while others have failed by the pin shearing through the plate hole. Chains without master links usually failed at a pin connection, but they also lack the weakest(master) link. I understand that these types of failures may sound unbelievable to some, I've also snapped a crank arm, broke two bottom bracket spindles, several pedal bodies, and a couple pedal spindles. I'm also murder on carbon frames, wheels, and all bearings.