Old 07-06-12, 08:49 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
raced in the heat and the humidity last night.
15-lap scratch race at our local outdoor wood 250. when some swirling happened at the front i eased uptrack and two teammates worked a decent gap open, but when a dude with WC stripes on his sleeve started to close it, that was that. i put in a reasonable move with 3 laps to go but it just wound out drawing out people who didn't want to pull through, so i eased and tried to catch back on to salvage something for the sprint a lap later - finished 6th, so, nothing much.

later in the evening there was a 70 lap points race. i stayed patient until the second half and then tried to put myself in anything and everything, but nothing that tried to go long really stuck. The pack got whittled down and there were people off the front all the time, but everybody was marking a handful of riders including the master's WC, a local pro, etc. But even when the right move seemed to be off the front, it wasn't going hard enough to get a lap, and those little situps of indecision just kill a move. i wound up getting a few points with 20 to go, reacted to the counter - it got reeled in, i bridged to the counter of THAT, it got reeled in, etc. i was in a move that got points with 10 to go, it got reeled in and in the subsequent indecision i attacked again, drew out a pursuiter, and we opened up a gap they couldn't close for the final 8 laps. with 1.5 to go i had to dance a bit to play around, open my sprint in my companion's shelter, and won the final sprint. it was good enough for third overall.