View Single Post
Old 04-26-16, 01:37 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Sprinter gears these days are pretty large. A lot of people rarely drop below 100" when doing their 200's, some ride really high for these. Rounds are usually a bit smaller, and will depend on tactics, (going long? =bigger; plan to hold the guy up and jump closer to the line? =smaller) and where you are in the tourney (smaller at first, getting larger as you go up against people your speed). Keirin gears are usually close to what you use for a 200 (motor gets you up to speed), and kilo depends on your philosophy and physiology.

I've been creeping up over the years. Used to 200 in 94 at the biggest, rounds in 90, 92, kilo in 92, 94 or 96 depending upon track and weather conditions. These days I've been experimenting over 100 for 200, but still hovering around 95-100 for 200, 94ish for rounds. Kilo has lately been 97. All this does not mean I'm going faster (sadly).

This is a very personal topic, and perhaps more than any other, your mileage may vary. Also depends a lot of the level of your competition. If you're just getting started, sprinting in 86 or 88 may make total sense.