Old 06-20-19, 02:38 PM
Hanky1984

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Massive newbie mistake... anyone a bigger idiot?

So.... Had my bike a week and loving it. But until today I've been feeling a bit disheartened. I've been struggling with hills, big time struggling!! As a big guy (over 300lbs) I expected to struggle, but I squat 230kg/500lbs so thought "I've got the leg power, I can do this", had a go at a local hill aptly named "Heartbreak Hill" part of the Welsh Iron Man stage, I made it 3/4 of the way up and felt light headed, was blowing out of my arse, with a heart rate of 178bpm (my max is 185). I couldn't help thinking "how the **** do other people do this, this is impossible" and "I'm never going to be fit enough, I'd have to lose 150lbs".

Until today.... On a downhill I felt good and thought that I would see how fast I could go so for the first time I decided to venture into the realm of gears 11-20!!! Started peddeling and nothing, went up a few gears... Nothing. Turns out I have only used speeds 11-20 for my first 90 odd miles and have only today discovered gears 1-10. It's quite a bit easier, isn't it!! Haha.

Anyone out there a bigger idiot? Beat that!!
Likes For Hanky1984: