View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 03:32 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Pawl spring sticking

Originally Posted by carfreefamily
This noise is driving me crazy. It's on my 1952 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist. When I'm pedaling with steady pressure, no noise. If I suddenly accelerate, there is a loudish "clonk" sound. Sometimes it's a single clonk, sometimes there is a quieter "thuk, thuk, thuk" as I pedal.

I associate the noise on another bike with a loose saddle clamp - for a long time I thought it was a bottom bracket noise, but it was the saddle. That's not it.

I tightened my cotter pins and checked for play in the bottom bracket - not it.
The crank is not hitting the kickstand.
I retightened everything on the chaincase.
I adjusted the chain to make sure it wasn't too tight or too loose.
I tightened the rear axle nuts - slightly - I recently overtightened and stripped a nut on another bike.

I can't think of what else to try. When the bike is parked, if I press down on the pedal, it makes a quieter clonk. In order to get it to make the noise again, I have to spin the pedal around and press on the non-chainring side and then the chainring side to get it to make the sound again. Mostly, it's pressing on the chainring side that generates the noise. It certainly sounds like it's coming from the area of the rear hub.

Any ideas? I'm holding off on my longer rides until I solve it.
Grease may have got to the pawl springs and they are not engaging the planet ring gear consistently. Squirt some WD 40 down the filler hole and see if the noise lessens. If there is an improvement, put a tablespoon of correct oil back in and plan to disassemble the hub(this can be down with the hub still in the wheel) and give everything a thorough clean and/or change the pawl springs.
The Internet has heaps of good videos demonstrating how do do this easily and correctly.