Old 08-09-19, 10:09 AM
SurfHenk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not easy to copycat..

Originally Posted by Jipe
No, there was as far as I know no comparable new folder announced.

I think that there are two reasons for that:
- the success of Helix on Kickstarter came mainly from its price, not from its specifications, and matching the price of Helix on Kickstarter is probably impossible.
- since the launch of Helix, the interest for not assisted folders diminish, the marked is now looking for a lightweight electric assist folder. As we have seen with the first delivered Helix, the design of Helix is not optimal to obtain a lightweight bike.
As I see it, the main reason that no comparable folder has been announced is the complexity. If the Helix project has shown one thing, it is that this design requires a high amount of very precise parts in order to work/fold within specifications. A few tens of bikes are out in the wild now, yet it still is not easy to ramp up the production.
Personally I think the design is brilliant and the bike looks great. Whether it delivers in the real world I will be able to tell soon as my bikes are on their way to me. But I certainly do hope so and I do wish that Helix can become a sustainable business. And again, personally I am convinced the design can not easily be mimicked due to its complexity and high amount of precision parts and manufacturing capabilities needed. This is not something you easily and quickly copy..