Old 01-29-09, 01:30 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
I thought randonnuering was about a mix of going fast, and being able to support yourself for a few days. You're not full on camping, but you have clothes and food to last you during that time.

The differences between touring and rando is that I would expect a rando bike to have:

shorter wheelbases and less steering trail than a full on touring bike. You dont need full on panniers so the extra heel clearance isnt needed and the wheelbase is kept short so the bike is more responsive than a touring bike. the steering would also be "quicker" with less trail in the steering.

Overall I guess what I'm saying it Rando bikes seem to be more performance oriented than touring bikes, while carrying over a lot of the comfort and practical traits like lights, fenders, and racks, yet not pannier racks.

I think this is why converting an 80's "sport" bike to 650b and rando type bars is a really nice way to get all of those things. That said, I havent done that yet, although I've come close with my Gitane, minus the 650b conversion.