Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I like it. In fact, I placed an order for one today. Size 58 complete bike. Should be here in a week or so. UPS hasn't posted a delivery date yet.

I've been planning to get a new gravel bike for a while, bouncing between the Sequoia, the RLT9 Steel and the new Diverge. When they released the full info at midnight last night, I was up and started punching numbers into spreadsheets and online bike geometry sites figuring out how well this would fit. It works for me. I was hoping for but not expecting a little taller stack so I could avoid an upswept stem, but I can live with that given all the other geometry numbers and features. The Diverge was perfect in that regard (I have a very immobile neck that requires that my handlebar be slightly higher than my saddle). But I didn't especially like the short chainstays on the Diverge. Good steel vs carbon was pretty much a wash for me, though I do have a special love for steel. The Diverge also has a press fit BB, which is not a deal breaker, but I do prefer a good old English threaded BB. That was also the main thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the Niner RLT9 Steel. I would already be riding the Sequoia if not for the high BB. Every time I considered buying it, that just stuck in my craw.

I'll make a few changes off the bat. I have an unused set of Roval carbon wheels just waiting to put on this bike. Glad the Whisky fork uses a 15mm TA instead of a 12mm so I won't need to use an adapter. I'll need the previously mentioned upswept stem . Hopefully the stem mounted Garmin and the top tube bag will minimize the aesthetic impact. I'll swap the crankset for the Sugino OX601 46/30 that I currently have on my AWOL. I could have lived with a 48/32 like comes on the Diverge, but I know from experience that a 50/34 is too tall for my legs and lungs on the gravel roads I want to ride on this bike, especially when I'm carrying even a moderate load. I'll keep the 11-32 cassette for now.

I'll post plenty of pictures and relay my impressions when I get it and start riding it. Anyone need a Large AWOL?
Do you know if the geo is similar to the Space Horse.

Space Horse was one of the three finalists for my current bike (other two were Twin Six Standard Rando and the Soma Fog Cutter - I went with the Soma)

I might have sprung extra for this frame if it shares the Space Horse geo and still had rear rack mounts.