Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
You are taking electrolytes. Just not mixed in the water.

Incidentally, I also use very little supplemental salt in my diet. And I usually dilute electrolyte powders with about double the water recommended. Looking at the ingredients for Hammer Endurolytes, I'm taking the same amount of electrolytes. I'm just drinking it with the water rather than taking the capsules.

I tried going without electrolytes, both years ago in my teens and twenties, and again a couple of years ago when I began riding more in summer heat. Didn't work for me. I function better with some electrolyte supplements.

Traditionally, dating back more than 1,000 years, humans have developed various thirst quenchers ranging from Roman posca to farmer's switchel and haymaker's punch, to kombucha. Anecdotes support the perception that these cause less stomach upset than plain water, and help encourage thirst so users don't become dehydrated. Common additives include mild vinegar and/or brine, fermented or citrus, ginger or other herbs and spices believed to settle the stomach, honey or sugar, occasionally other ingredients varying according to regional availability.

To this day some makers of electrolyte drinks and supplements point to research (see the PubMed site for papers) indicating that a little sugar and salt help digest water more quickly and efficiently.
The reason I don't mix them is that conditions vary, and the amount of each, water and electrolyes, also vary. So I don't combine them. It's better to let your body tell you how much of each you need. But you're right - we do need electrolytes. Normally, we get the exact amount we need in our food. We (our DNA) and our biome ensure that happens. When we exercise, we need a little more, though surprisingly little.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 07-23-18 at 02:58 PM.