Old 09-25-18, 09:45 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I can only imagine, sorry you're dealing with that. Have you ever test ridden either bike? I've not ridden a Crossrip (read bad reviews though) or an RLT (heard nothing but good) but I can attest to the freakishly smooth ride both the Tamland and Renegade give. Now, they aren't rocket ships but they sure are smooth. All that being said I still want an RLT Steel so bad, they're so pretty lol.
I'd not ridden the Tamland but I did ride the Willard after buying the Crossrip. the Willard is much smoother. so I can only guess the Tamland is more so.

I briefly rode a renegade and it seemed really heavy, for guys used to heavier steel that's probably fine. for me it was a turn off. but I had also already owned the Crossrip at the time too. At the Time of buying the Crossrip a selling point on it was that it rode closer to a road bike in handling. However it is brutal, mostly fork brutal. frost cracks will wreck your neck.
I absolutely love the Niner RLT steel. yet for my general purpose I rub the top tube. yuk, that is annoying. and sizing down was just too small for anything but hammer fest style riding. Not my purpose on a gravel bike.

yet while on the heavier side (lighter than most steel framed bikes), It has some nice performance also. and is also the smoothest bike I've ever ridden.

there is the previous model the silver/blue RLT on ebay (54) for $2,600... tempting!
however I've always love the Giant Revolt, minus the weigh of it. Well, now the all new Carbon revolt seems to check all my boxes. So the debate comes down to do I really want Carbon? the RLT steel rides so nice!!!!